The average person uses 50 – 75 gallons of water every day. Becoming waste conscious you can reduce your usage. Saving water saves money and also helps protect our most precious resource.
Download our Water Conservation Policy.
These are some practical water conservation tips:
- Wash only full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher.
- Do not run water continuously when washing dishes by hand.
- Attach low-flow faucet aerators to faucets.
- Take short showers instead of baths. A full bath requires approximately 36 gallons of water. A five minute shower using a low-flow restrictor will use 15 – 25 gallons.
- Install low-flow shower heads and toilets. Low flow toilets typically use 1/2 the water of a standard toilet.
- Don’t leave the water running while brushing your teeth and/or shaving.
- Check for leaking faucets and toilets and repair them. A leaking tap, dripping once per second, wastes six gallons of water a day. A leaking toilet can waste up to 5,000 gallons per day.
- Use a nozzle on your hose that will stop the water flow when appropriate.
- Use a broom, not a hose, to clean driveways and sidewalks.
- Store drinking water in the refrigerator, rather than allowing the tap to run for a cold glass of water.
Crab Orchard Utility District
2089 East First Street
Crossville, TN 38555
Ph: (931) 484-6987
Fax: (931) 484-2970